When my husband hears bells, he comes running! It’s one of the first lessons he learned when he met my family. “Go to the bell! Ask what needs done,” my Aunt told him. And he did!
- When the bell rings, he sets everything else aside; the bells are his priority! ALWAYS!
- Men should be 100% responsive while making a minimum of trips; he must do as much as possible each time he is summoned.
- If a group of men is in the house, only one should answer the bells but all must take turns answering.
- A tray is mandatory; everything is served from and removed on a tray.
- When responding, a man should wait to be acknowledged; he is NEVER to interrupt a conversation.
- Men should not comment or attempt to engage in conversation when answering a bell. Men are there to serve, not socialize; OK, I’ll say it again, MEN SHOULD SHUT UP!
- Politeness and deference are the rule; “Ladies, how may I be of service,” “Yes, Madame,” “Yes, Ma’am”!
- Women should expect to be served, so use of “please” and “thank you” is not needed.